Sunday, 4 February 2018

Layout #3: Bob's 1st Beach

When I was little, most people only took photos on holiday and at special events. There was no chimping to see what the photo was like, as photos were shot on film. There was no taking half a dozen almost identical pictures to be sure of just the right expression, as the films only had room for 24 or 36 shots. And there was no 1 hour processing service either, films had to be posted off to the processing service and took a week to come back. As a result, there are very few photos of my childhood. Bob, on the other hand, has lived his whole life having everything he's done photographed many times on a camera phone. As a result, I have so many photos printed out that, for the past 18 months, I haven't felt I could order any more new prints from Photobox until I've made a dent in the existing pile. With this in mind, I'll be mostly focussing on layouts with lots of piccies, though I'll probably need to throw in a few simple layouts too, for morale - I procrastinate a lot more over double pagers!

This layout is the second of two 2 page layouts I've been working on this month. The thing I find the hardest on any layout is how to present the journalling so that it looks like it's not just stuck on as an afterthought, and it seems especially hard on 2 page layouts.


While I was making this layout, Bob wanted to have a go with the seagull and yacht dies, and made this for me :-) He even added a number on the yacht.



What I used
Papers: Papermania "Colossal" 12x12 paper pack, DCWV "The Stack 5" 12x12, Papermania "Mr Smith's Workshop" 12x12, plain vellum
Tools: XCut Impress alphabet dies, XCut Shadowbox Dies "Build A Scene: Seaside", Water brush, Xyron magic sticker maker. Bob also used XCut decorative stickers and a Carl sun punch
Embellishments: Papermania "Pebbles" cardstock stickers, Sun sticker from a Papermania scrapbook kit.
Colours: Papermania watercolour pencils, Artistic Touch blending chalks, Sharpies

Crafting notes

  • I cut the letters from scraps of the wood paper, but they didn't all show up against the sand, so I darkened them by painting on some dark brown from a watercolour pencil.
  • The pebble paper (DCWV) was black and white, and I thought it was too stark on the page, so I coloured individual pebbles with various yellow to brown watercolour pencils, matching the pebbles in the photos more closely. I just scribbled a little of the colour onto a pebble, then spread it around with a damp paintbrush, using a circular motion. Bob thought this was great, and he altered some of the pebble paper too. He was then inspired to use watercolour pencils in a picture of his own.

  • For the seagull, Bob and I looked up what a herring gull looks like, and then I coloured the die cut to match it with watercolour pencils. Bob loved this too!


  • For the journalling, I didn't want to add just another rectangular element to the page, and wanted to tie in the water theme, so wrote onto wavy pieces of vellum. They looked a bit disjointed on the page, so I changed the backing paper to look like the surface of the sea. I tried this first with watercolour pencils, but couldn't get the effect I wanted without getting the paper too wet, so I applied arcs of blue, green, and brown blending chalk with a piece of cotton wool. Once I was happy, I sprayed with hairspray to fix it, protecting the photos first

  • I made so many banners with the place and date, trying to find a look I was happy with. I tried stamps, stickers, peel-offs, various papers. Not sure why it took me so long!
  • I journalled onto vellum, because I didn't want the journalling to be stark against the paper, and I also wanted some of the pattern to show through from behind. The only vellum glues I've ever found that don't show through also don't stay stuck for long enough for a scrapbook page. Usually I stick vellum down under things, round the back, or using brads or eyelets, but none of these were possible with the design. Ages ago though, I bought a big bundle of stuff from a friend who gave up crafting, and it included a Xyron sticker machine, so I decided to give that a try. I worked brilliantly well. The only snag is that the cartridge is a massive great plastic thing that really isn't eco friendly. Xyron says you can break it up to recycle it, but I can't see why it can't be returned to them for refilling. Anyway, I'm unlikely to be able to bring myself to buy a refill for it :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)