Thursday, 4 August 2016

Layout #9: 1st garden makeover

I picked these photos to scrap for my March challenge of "Home" and then realised I'd already done a layout for that one :-) I didn't work to a sketch for this one, and there was a lot to fit in, so I chose a simple background.





What I used:
Papers: Basic Grey Lilykate "Parasol" 12x12, Papermania "Pampered Pets" 12x12, plain vintage green paper
Embellishments: Anita's sticky ribbons "Daisy Chain", various paper flowers, die cast metal trowel, Anita's Dimensions stickers "small butterflies"
Tools: See Ds alphabet stamps "Dot to Dot", Sizzix "Vine #3" die, Sizzix Sizzlits decorative strip die, XCut decorative dies "Tags and Bookplates", Basic Grey "Flower Burst with Ribbons", small embossing stylus
Colours: Ancient Page dye ink "Pine", Whispers brush marker "vintage green", Papermania watercolour pencils in brown and vintage green.

Crafting notes:

  • I chose background papers with lots of swirly growth. I used sheets with the same colours  but swapped around for the before and after pages to emphasise the changes. I die cut swirls from a darker green paper to carry on the growth theme.
  • I used single flowers cut from the sticky ribbon border to centre the layered flowers and on the date tags to tie everything together.
  • I made a simple flower pot from the same paper I used for the swirls, embossed the rim and added shading with watercolour pencils.
  • Since needing to wear reading glasses for close work, I've struggled with writing in horizontal lines and don't like to add pencil lines as some papers don't play nicely with erasers. For this project I made a window from low tack masking tape to help me. Remember to aways dab the tape on your clothes first - you can probably tell from the picture that I was wearing something fluffy! I also always write out my journalling on scrap paper strips first to see how much space it will take.
Winning the battle against the warping effect of reading glasses!
  • The Pampered Pets paper packs only contain one sheet of each design and matting 6 photos would have taken a whole sheet. I gutted the matting rectangles (ie I cut smaller rectangles from them, turning them into frames) so I could use the same paper for the journalling and the title.
  • Gutted rectangles/frames don't always stay square when you're mounting onto them, so I leave them joined together until I've stuck the top layers on (see pic). This has the added advantage that you only need to line up two edges and can cut the rest to fit. Alternatively you can stick the frame to your cutting mat with low tack masking tape while you're adding layers.
Layer up gutted mats while on the sheet
to keep them square

The paper saved by gutting.
Without it I wouldn't have had any left for my journaling

Challenges entered:

9 comments:

  1. I do like this page, the photos are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful page, the photo's are gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful page...lovely photos and layout....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet, soft layout. Thank you for joining in at Archiscraps this month
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty, love how you have used so many photos.. thanks for joining in with Archiscraps this month..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very dainty little butterflies Amanda, thanks for playing along at Archiscraps this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice,thanks for joining us at Archiscraps this month

    ReplyDelete
  8. Utterly lovely! My favorite is the charming little spade... How fortunate you are to have such a beautiful garden :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)