Saturday, 23 July 2016

Layout #8: July Challenge - "Summer"

Yay! You've read it correctly, this is the July challenge, being published in July,and no it isn't last year's July challenge, I really am on time for once! However, before I pat myself on the back too much, I started tinkering with this page with a view to using it for February's "Favourite" theme, since it's one of my favourite photos and favourite memories. I think it works better for this month's "Summer" theme though :-)

When I saw this Sketchy Thursdays sketch on Pinterest, I knew exactly what I wanted to use it for and thought the circle theme was great for a sunset. I also knew exactly which papers I wanted to use for the circles. I wonder then, why it's taken me so long to finish the page. I guess at least partly because it's one of my favourite ever photos, and because I've hoarded those papers for the best part of a decade without being able to bring myself to do more than stroke them and sigh :-)


Here's what I made, not sure I've done the papers or the photo justice, but I like it anyway. Whenever I do a clean and simple layout, I'm always filled with doubt that maybe it should be more complicated, even when I really like it how it is. If you think it should have more, please let me know in the comments :-)



What I used:
Papers: Basic Grey Ambrosia "Smoke" 12x12, Dovecraft Designer Paper Pack "Abstract Prints" by Kelly Harwood 8x8, Papermania textured black card
Embellishments: Doodlebug Simply Sweet mini alphabet rub-ons "beetle black", Papermania "Botanicals" alphabet stickers
Tools: XCut nesting circle dies, Whispers permanent brush marker "black"

Crafting notes:
  • I wanted to put the journalling directly onto the page because I felt any more definition for the journalling would detract from the strong central layout.
  • To see what the journalling would look like on the page, and to position it, I wrote onto a clear piece of acetate with a permanent marker first.




    Challenges:

    5 comments:

    1. A great layout - like the sketch. Shabneez

      ReplyDelete
    2. Brilliant layout....great photo....Joolsx

      ReplyDelete
    3. When in doubt keep it simple! Your beautiful photo shines out of the CAS design. Thanks for playing with us at Country View Challenges this month.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Perfect as it is, it's actually a stunning page.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)