Sunday, 29 November 2015

Layout 17: January scrapbook challenge "New Beginnings"

By the time I set the themes for my monthly scrapbook challenges on do craftsCraft Talk forum it was already March, but the geek in me wanted to set a full year's worth of challenges. So, me tackling January's theme at the end of November isn't quite as tardy as it seems!

I used a sketch from Pagemaps and, as the photo I chose was quite stark, I decided on a clean and simple, almost spartan, layout. Being able to see a photo and its story together is pretty much the point of scrapbooking for me, but finding a way to include the journalling without detracting from the page's aesthetics is always the bit that gives me the most headaches. I find it hardest of all when I'm doing clean and simple layouts like this one. Editing the words down to short bullet points did the job for me here. It did mean I lost some vaguely interesting (to me) detail, but the main thing I wanted to preserve with the journalling was just how long it took me to figure out why I felt so unwell!

Here's my layout and the sketch I followed:






What I used:
Papers: DCWV "The Paper Stack" 12x12, unknown aqua 12x12 paper
Embellishments: K&Co Studio K transfers "Family", Anita's sticky ribbons, Craft Planet Waterfall Stickers "Holidays" (rub on arrows)
Colours: White acrylic paint, Caran Dache watercolour pencils, Whispers brush markers.
Tools: XCut heart punch

Crafting notes:
  • The photo is a simple one, but the news it a bit heavy, so I added paint splatters to make it look as though the photo had splashed down hard on the page.
  • I didn't have paint the right colour, but I did have a watercolour pencil. Rather than spend ages trying to mix the right shade, I scraped bits of the pencil into a little white paint and used this for the paint splatters.
  • There was no colour scheme to pick up from the picture, so I used bright complementary colours and a clean and simple layout, in keeping with the subject.
  • The only pen I had that matched the aqua colour in the layout was a Promarker, which bled too much to use for the journalling. Instead I wrote the journalling out 4 times with water based pens, alternating a pale green colour and a brighter blue/cyan to achieve the right colour and intensity.

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant page.... great layout...Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A special moment to journal about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world of digital allows us to keep all these special moments, great memory for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant page and layout

    Lorna x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi this is a stunning page and the layout is fab. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. great page layout ... well done Amanda ... thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment ... sorry I didn't get back to you sooner ... my weekend was crazy ... have a great week ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)