Saturday, 21 November 2015

Layout 15: Furry, Scaly, Leggy

The last few scrapbook pages that I've made have been for challenges and, although I'm not up to date with all the challenges I've committed to, I fancied doing something just for fun. This layout features photos from a very lovely day out at an RAF families' day. Ultimately I'll make lots of pages about the day, so I've journalled only for the photos in this layout.




Here's the sketch I used. I found it on Pinterest, but it's originally from Brenda Ragsdale's blog (Grand Divas Creative Corner):


What I used
Papers: DCWV "The Stack 5" 12x12, DCWV "Old World" stack 12x12, Creative Imaginations Sonnets "Moss stripe" 12x12, Papermania "Nature's Gallery" A4, Core'dinations dark grey card
Embellishments: Papermania AlphaMinis "Curly Font White"
Colours: Promarker "Cool Grey 5", grey Sharpie pen, grey, white gel pen, dark grey Zig Art & Graphic Twin
Tools: XCut nesting circle dies, QuicKutz nesting circle frame dies, XCut flower dies (for the spider body)

Crafting notes
  • Black lettering looked too stark for the title, so I coloured white letters with a dark grey Promarker to match the dark grey fabric print paper I used to mat the photos. To get the right colour and a textured finish, I built up 3 layers of grey, covering less completely with each layer.
  • I don't have much of any of the papers in this layout, so they're heavily gutted. The beige layer is mounted on stiff card (recycled packaging) to give a smooth base for the photos.
  • The photos, taken indoors with a phone, are not great quality. Heavy cropping helped to focus attention on what was important, but I also made my son more prominent by choosing paper colours that highlighted his clothes.
  • The spider legs, web, and eyes are drawn on, but his body is die cut using a flower centre die so he looks hairy.
  • As the page will (hopefully!) be one of many from the day, I wanted to include an element for the event that could be repeated in other layouts. I think the corner quarter circle is general enough that I should be able to fit it into most other designs.
  • Both the Promarker and the Sharpie pens bled too much for the journalling, so I had to use a Zig pen instead.

6 comments:

  1. Great page, looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use of the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant page....great photos....looks like you all had a great day out....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful page, love the colours and layout and it looks like it was a great day out too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi this is a fantastic page I love the layout and the photos. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)