Friday, 18 September 2015

Layout 12: August Scrapbook Challenge "And Relax"

The theme I set for the August scrapbooking challenge on do crafts' Craft Talk forum was "And Relax" and I had planned to tackle it in the middle of the month, when my oldest friend came to visit. She's a long time card maker, and this theme was going to be her introduction to scrapbooking. In the end we were too busy catching up to do any crafting, but I had managed some planning.

As it was my friend's first page, I picked a very simple sketch to follow, again from Pagemaps:

I chose a picture of our newest dog asleep just a couple of days after we collected him from the very excellent Heathlands Animal Sanctuary, as it makes me think of him relaxing not just after a walk, but also after the turmoil of abandonment, months in kennels, and his trip here from Ireland. While working on the layout, I decided to make it a double page, so I could include a picture of our other dog (also from Heathlands Animal Sanctuary) too. I'd love to know what you think.



What I used:
Papers: DCWV 8x8 Scrapbook kit in a stack "Dog", DCWV The Christmas Cardstock 12x12 Stack
Embellishments: DCWV 8x8 Scrapbook kit in a stack "Dog"
Tools: Sharpies permanent pens, Papermania Portobello Road urban stamps (numbers), Studio g mini alphabet stamps, Ancient Page ink "chocolate", XCut nesting dies "scalloped heart".

Crafting notes:
  • The main paper that I chose is quite low contrast, with the doggy activity words printed with thin lines. That suggested doggy dreams to me.
  • I used a scalloped heart die to cut the heart on the right page, then trimmed off the scallops with scissors.
  • My handwriting is naturally very small, and my husband suggested that I try writing my journalling larger. I struggled with this, only achieving it by using a thicker pen. My Promarkers bled too much, but I was tempted by a special offer on Sharpies and these worked much better for me. I'm not sure I like the big writing...

7 comments:

  1. Great page, love the mirror effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's works great as a double and simple sketches often make the most timeless of layouts. Lovely pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, love the paw print paper, the dogs look so content and relaxed :) Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant work , lovely pictures and layout

    Lorna x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are both beautiful pages and although you say the layout is simple it is very effective. Love your two doggies - they look so content x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)