Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Layout 9: Bob's great frog rescue

I'd be lying if I said this has been a fun make overall. As often happens, I started with a clear picture of the basic idea, but then faltered as I tried to fill in the details. As a result, this page has been lurking on the Pile Of Shame on the edge of my desk for 11 months. There have been long periods in that time where I didn't touch it at all, and lots of other projects that have forced me to put it to one side, but I have been thinking about it in the background and a little while ago it started to bug me so much that I really didn't want to start another page until it was done. I'm quite pleased with the result, although I think the protracted, piece-meal design process showed in the finished project, so I redid some elements. Ah well, maybe I'll get the hang of speedy scrapping soon!

Well, here it is, I hope you like it!



What I used:
Papers: Tim Holtz "Destinations" (background), Dovecraft back to basics 8x8 paper, Basic Grey Archaic "Ancient" and "Earthworm" (spotty and lily pads), DCWV photo stack (wood paper), gold mirror card
Tools: Hot Diggity Dog "Treats" clear stamp set, See Ds "Whimsy" alphabet & number stamps, XCut flowers die set.
Colours: Whispers brush marker vintage green, Whispers permanent brush marker dark brown, Ancient Page archival ink "chocolate", brown pastel chalk, copper alcohol ink
Embellishments: K&Company K-Ology Grand Adhesions "Words", die cut chipboard sayings, Papermania clear dome stickers, Basic Grey Archaic dome brad, green mini tag.

Crafting notes:

  • In made a magnifying glass to highlight the small frog in the final photo:
    •  I used two small circle dies to cut a ring of gold mirror card, then toned the shininess down with alcohol ink. 
    • I made a handle template from a piece of folded paper (to ensure symmetry) and stuck it to the back of a scrap of wood print paper, which I aged with brown pastel chalk.
    • I finished off with a clear dome sticker
When Bob saw the page, he put his eye to the magnifying glass :-)
  • The journalling is written on lily pad shapes, linked together with leaping frogs
  • The title is laid out along the path of a jumpy frog (unlike the real frog, which just sat still all the time we watched!
  • I originally matched the title with the backing of the spotty paper. Then I had the idea of the lily pads and it wasn't the right colour for that, so I redid the title on the lily pad paper. Luckily I'd taped the letters down, not glued them, otherwise I would have had to hand colour them to match. Here it is halfway through the replacement to show the difference (at night sadly, so it's not a great picture):

8 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous page, lovely photo's, I'm not confident at all with scrapbooking, I've small projects with photo's in and one 8 x 8 scrapbook and that took me forever,,,lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes you just cant hurry inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! And lovely memories :-)
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant theme for a scrapbook page, great to see someone in nature too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant page great layout and photos....Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amanda this is gorgeous I love the photos and the layout is fab. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is brilliant Amanda, you have put so much thought into it, it looks great. Lainie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous page, I love it x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)