Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Layout 5: Birthday treats, old and new

The theme for my March challenge on the Craft Talk forum is "birthday treats" and I chose another Pagemaps sketch for it:



There were no other rules for it, and the sketch was optional, so I have two layouts to share for the theme. The first is this page,  created specifically for the challenge, using the sketch:



The second is a makeover of a page I first made early in my demonstrating career in 2006/7. At that time, do crafts gave us designs to make in demos that showcased the products they wanted to promote. The result was a page without journalling that included random elements that had nothing to do with the subject. That page, like several others from that time, has been sitting in my album taunting me with its lack of completeness ever since and, as it has the same title as my challenge, I thought now would be a good time to give it a makeover. Here are the before and after shots.  The Before was taken at night when I started working on the page.  The colours of the After shot are closer to real life.

Before (bad photo, sorry!)

After


I'd love to know what you think.

Happy crafting!
Amanda

What I used: 
Birthday Treat:
Paper: Papermania Colossal Paper Pack 12x12, Papermania Colossal 8x8 Paper Pack "Pastel"
Embellishments: Papermania large pastel brads, Papermania wire "Birthday", Papermania metal alphabet, Anita's alphabet outline stickers
Tools: XCut oval shape cutter
Other: London Eye clip art.

1st Birthday:
Paper: DCWV 12x12 Christmas Stack Value Pack, Dovecraft 8x8 Designer paper pack "Masculine", DCWV textured 12x12 cardstock, Papermania 12x12 double sided Capsule Collection papers, Co'ordinations red and blue card
Embellishments: Pebbles Inc I Kan Bobby Pin "Party", Thomas the Tank Engine printed ribbon, DCWV 8x8 Scrapbook in a stack "Color Blocking" and "Dog", Papermania foam ribbon stickers, Papermania cardstock stickers "Happy Birthday to You", Papermania ultimate A4 decoupage pack "Happy Birthday to You", Papermania die cut shapes "Birthday"
Tools: Sanding block, Papermania large number stamp "1"

Crafting Notes:
Birthday Treat:
  • For the journalling on the A4 page, I modified a free clip art file of the London Eye. The original was circular and grey scale, so I made it pale blue and skewed it in Photoshop to better fit the shape of the oval around it, and to fit in with the oval theme of the rest of the page.
  • I added brads along the thin ovals to suggest the pods on the Eye.
  • I would have liked to have replaced the wire "Birthday", but it had marked the page.  I don't dislike it as much now I've changed other elements in the page.
  • I cut the wavy borders at the top and bottom using the Shapecutter blade freehand.
1st Birthday:




  • I tried to use mostly scraps for the background, but some were only 8x8 wide, so had to be split under the photos. I put the page into a 12x12 trimmer and used the edge of the cutting ruler to line up the pieces to make sure they were straight.
  •  
  • I started laying this page out on a white background but didn't really like it.  When I tried out the orangey-yellow, it picked up the colour in Bob's shirt so well his pictures seemed to jump out the page.
  • I sanded the background to make it a little less bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)