Saturday, 21 March 2015

Layout 4 - I love...

I'm a member of the scrapbooking forum on the do crafts 'craft talk' site and, to provide myself with some extra inspiration, I'm setting a monthly sketch challenge there.  It was a recent decision, so I've set January to March's challenges all together.  The challenges are just for fun (no prizes) and, although they're on a forum on the do crafts site, they're not run by do crafts and you can use any products you like.  There are mostly no rules other than the theme, and the sketches are optional.  To take part you just need to be a member of the do crafts craft talk forum and post a picture of your page on your gallery there when you're done.

I've tackled the February challenge first.  The theme is "I love...", and I've used this sketch from the excellent pagemaps site, with their kind permission.

http://www.pagemaps.blogspot.co.uk/2013_01_01_archive.html

Here's my page.  I'd love any comments, and please come and join in with us on the forum.



What I used:
Papers: DCWV The Green Stack, Coordinations 6x6 Earth tones
Embellishments: Papermania dome stickers "Alphabet buttons" large and small, Doodlebug 'Simply Sweet' mini alphabet rub-ons in 'bon bon', birds from magazine freebie
Tools: Spellbinders "Foliage" leaf die, XCut heart punch, Papermania circle punches (from a brad making kit), Whispers brown Permanent brush marker 

Crafting notes:
  • I don't normally work with photos this small, as I usually crop photos before I send them for printing.  However, I'd expected to use these 3 photos as pictures of us within the woodland scene.  This layout is great for cropping landscape photos to more detailed portrait ones.
  • I wanted a very small border around the photos.  Rather than mat, I inked the edges with a permanent marker.
  • To add some definition to all the other layers and die cuts, I sanded the edges with sand paper.
  • I marked the line of the bottom circle using a pokey tool and a white gel pen.
  • I cut the circle by running a knife around a plate.  I cut it from the centre of a 12x12 sheet so that I can use the 'outer' as backing for another page.  As it's my last sheet of that paper, I gutted the circle too, so it's actually stuck down in two pieces.  I used the outer to position the pieces of circle correctly.
  • The dome stickers I used for the title looked odd and wonky when placed directly on the page because of the different thicknesses below.  I placed them on a thin strip of card instead and that fixed the uneven look.  It also added definition.
  • To write the journalling, I cut the strips but left them connected together at the side so that they stayed still while I was writing.
  • I haven't found a good pen to use on Coordinations paper - for this page I used a Whispers permanent marker, but by the morning the writing had faded, so I had to go over it.  Time will tell whether I need to redo the journalling...
Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)