Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Layout 3 - The trial of 'Trial bike trial'

This layout was one of the ones responsible for my long spell of crafting block, so I'm *sooooo* happy finally to have finished it.  I started it in September last year, and had loads of fun transforming some plain gold card into a muddy scene with bumpy tyre tracks (see below).  Since then the page changed from a 2 page layout covering a whole day out to being a single page just about one aspect of the day (another layout planned for the rest of the photos).  The sticking point recently has been the journalling, and that's often the bit I struggle with the most.  That may be hard to believe looking at the tiny bit of journalling on this page, but that's often the challenge - trimming down a great wordy ramble to something that doesn't dominate the page but still has the meat of what I want to remember.  The same thing applies to a lot of my blog posts too, so I'll shut up now :-)

Here's the page, and some more detail on how I created it, I'd love to know what you think.



Close up of gears/wheels

What I used:

Papers: Black card, DCWV textured gold card
Embellishments: Papermania Chronology "gears", antique brass brads, Papermania adhesive letters, Woodware chipboard letters, Papermania mini brads
Tools: Purple Cows Deckle edged trimmer, That Special Touch "Tyre Track" mask, Spellbinders Nestabilities die set "Cogs"
Paints etc: Paper Artsy Grunge Paste, Paper Artsy Fresco Finish chalk acrylic paint "Mud Splat", Anita's acrylic paint "Earth Brown", Crafty Notions Creative Colour Spray "Walnut", Ranger paint dabber "Pitch Black", gold gel pen (for the journalling)

 Crafting notes:

  •  I used die cut gears to look like either gears or chunky off-road tyres.  They're attached with brads so they can turn.
  • The photos' staggered layout is intended to be reminiscent of chunky tyres again, or a crank shaft.  The deckled edges of the black matting are again to put chunky tyres in mind.
  • I haven't loaded up the page with many embellishments because I like clean and simple and because I didn't want to cover up any more of my tyre track paper than I had to!
  • Here's how I created the tyre track paper:

I started with textured matt gold card
Step 1: I roughly painted all over with dark brown acrylic paint
Step 2: Once dry, I roughly painted with 'mud splat' chalk acrylic paint,
then I went over with a wet paintbrush to blend a little

Step 3: I mixed mud splat chalk paint with grunge paste,
then applied messily through a tyre track mask.
I finished with a few squirts of walnut colour spray

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)