Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Layout 15: Manda's March Marmalade

When I first started demonstrating for do crafts, I was part of a doubling of the demo team, and someone had the lovely idea of the old and new demonstrators getting to know each other by doing circle journals together.  If you haven't encountered circle journals before, it's where everyone starts an album with a theme of their choice, which is then posted around the group collecting new pages as it goes.  At the end, everyone has a full album and has contributed to all the other albums.

As projects go, it was not a huge success - several albums were lost in the post and, as demo workloads increased, we all struggled to meet the posting schedule.  However, it was lots of fun creating the pages for all the other albums and, for those of us lucky enough to get our albums back, it was a real treat to see all the different crafting styles.  I chose "My Favourite Recipe" as my theme because I like to cook (and eat!), and because I love that what and how you cook is a reflection of your experiences and the people you have known.  I cook grated carrot and parsnip because of friends we had in the early 1990s, and I make mushroom risotto because I fell in love with it in Italy, etc, etc.  My album didn't make it round the whole circle, so it's far from full, but it did collect some lovely recipes, and it made it to some great crafters, so I decided recently that it deserves to be completed.  Here's the first of my new pages, about my first attempt at marmalade last year.  I've tried to keep in the style of the rest of the book - layout fashions have changed a bit!


A close-up of the recipe in case you'd like to try it!
Here are a couple of pics from the original work I did for the album - my first page, and the contents page at the back.  The idea is that everyone completes a tag as a signature for their page.  I made my tags like plates that are stored in a dishwasher - the front of the dishwasher pulls down so you can put them away.

My original page for the album from 2007
Fridge and dishwasher with plates for the contents page
Happy crafting!

Amanda

What I used (Marmalade page):
Papers: DCWV "Nana's Kitchen" 12x12 stack, Core'dinations peach cardstock
Tools: Tiny flower punch (ancient magazine freebie), See D's "Whimsy" and Studio g alphabet stamps

Crafting notes:

  • I chose the main backing paper because it reminded me of slices of citrus fruit.  The same goes for the flower punch I used for the recipe steps.
  • I chose the flowery paper at the edges of each page because the chequered pattern is a little nod to the gingham 'tablecloth' in my original page for the album.
  • I spent ages going through my stash for some orange card to mat the photos but incredibly couldn't find anything to match.  In the end I made frames from strips of the chequered border of the flowery paper.
  • I hand drew a simple jam jar for the titles and used it as a template.
  • I added lace to the bottom of the photos, and the chequered paper to the jam jars because all home made preserves should have little gingham and lace hats! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda. Popping over from the Crafting Cafe Blog hop. Apologies for being late - Lovely projects on our blog . Chris x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)