Sunday, 20 July 2014

Silhouette bookmark for Country View Crafts

My second project for Country View Crafts this month is a bookmark.  Coming from a family of bookworms, I give a lot of books as gifts, and I think it's always nice to give a hand made bookmark too, as it makes the present a bit more personal and complete.

I've made this bookmark out of grunge paper.  It's more durable and flexible than card, it copes better with getting wet, so you can have fun with paint effects, and it's lovely and tactile, not unlike leather.  For this project, I've coated it with paints and ink, and completed it with a coordinated stamp and emboss set from the Textured Impressions range.  I hope you like it!


Thanks for visiting, and happy crafting!

What I used:
Papers etc: Grunge paper
Tools: Textured Impressions "artistic fern" embossing folder with stamp, water mister, Cut n dry stamp pad foam, pokey tool
Paints/inks: Artiste acrylic paint "sage" and "vanilla bean", Distress ink "peeled paint", Ancient page "pine" permanent ink.
Embellishments: Aqua coloured raffia (from a box of chocolates :-) ), button, X-stitch thread

Crafting notes:
How the background looks when misted with water
  • The background was made in several layers, always making long brush strokes up and down the length of the bookmark.  First I painted two coats of sage paint, then I rubbed on distress ink.  Next I added smears of the vanilla bean paint and allowed to dry.  Finally I sprayed with water and blended a little with a paintbrush.
  • The raffia and button are stuck on with glue, with the knotted thread being mostly just decoration.  To make it easier to put the needle through, I used a pokey tool to make the holes first.

7 comments:

  1. I love the idea that you give a bookmark with your gift. This is a particularly pretty one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bookmark and love the embossing
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project, love the colours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)