Thursday, 10 July 2014

Layout #12 and Project #4 for Country View Crafts

I made it!  If you've visited my blog before, you may have seen that I resolved to do some scrapbooking this year, and that I set myself a target of 12 layouts for the year.  I had some good momentum going on in March and April, but came to a grinding halt in May and concentrated on other projects.  This layout (and in particular the stencilling in the bottom right of the page) was part of the reason - I feel like I've been thinking about it for ever!



The photo I've used isn't great quality (the subjects are small, and it was taken on a dingy wet day), so I wanted a simple layout that wouldn't swamp the main picture.  To achieve this I used stencilling, stamping and journalling directly onto the background and a limited colour pallette, with only a couple of dimensional elements.  I chose a single background paper from Tim Holtz's "Destinations" stack, as it had the right feel for a damp January day and, with its five red stripes, picked out the red of my little boy's snowsuit, as well as suggesting both guitar strings and a musical stave.

Full instructions and lots of photos can be found on the Country View Crafts blog post but, as always, there are some crafty tips below.


Happy Crafting :-)

What I used:
Papers: Tim Holtz "Destinations", grey marl card, DCWV photo stack (wood paper for the guitar)
Embellishments: Basic Grey "Archaic" cardstock alphabet stickers, Guitar peel-off (as a stencil), Goldlabel musical notes gold peel-offs
Tools: That Special Touch border mask "Music", Bind It All, Tim Holtz "Music Stave" embossing folder, free treble clef stamp from a magazine, scratching tool, Cut n Dry foam.
Paints etc: Paint dabber "espresso", Ranger Archival ink "Jet black", "Coffee", Ranger alcohol ink "espresso"

Crafting notes:
  • I used alcohol ink to colour the gold peel-off notes.  It took 3 applications of neat ink to get the colour I wanted.
  • For the stencilled stave in the bottom right of the page, I built up the image in three stages using black and brown archival ink and a brown paint dabber.
  • To blend the treble clef into the background, I rubbed over with some archival ink using cut 'n' dry foam.
  • To make the guitar, I inked through a peel-off, then removed the peel-off and added other detail using marker pens.
  • The musical notes peel-offs started out gold, but I coloured them using three coats of neat alcohol ink.  It gives a less solid finish than permanent markers, so more suited to a project with a distressed style.
  • I wanted the page of music to look as though the busker had torn it out of his book to take out for the day, so I used my Bind It All as an expensive border punch and then had fun ripping the holes open.

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant, Great work xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout. I love your stenceling and embelishments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)