Monday, 16 June 2014

Pots of stencilling fun

Before I became a regular crafter I wasted huge amounts of time trawling through DIY and 'lifestyle' shops trying to find things I liked to match my decor, and pots for house plants seem to be particularly hard to find.  That or I'm just very unfashionable with my colour schemes!  Anyway, now I have a lot more fun making my own accessories, and I get to save time and money too.

For my third project for Country View Crafts, I've decorated a cheap, plain terracotta plant pot with a variety of paints to match my dining room.  The things I wanted to match are the wallpaper (a blue and gold design by Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen) and the curtains (Crowson Tournament):
Fleur-de-lys motif on curtains

Gold and blue on wallpaper

I used a mix of metallic acrylic paint, glimmer glaze, alcohol inks/mixatives and crackle glaze to decorate my pot to match, and echoed the fleur-de-lys on the curtains by adding a stencilled lily.  Here's what I came up with:



Full instructions can be found on the Country View Crafts blog.  I'd love to know what you think.  If you haven't tried this kind of thing before, please do.  It's very simple to do and the result is something you can enjoy for a long time.

Happy crafting!

Amanda

What I used: 
Paints etc: Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze "midnight rendezvous", Artiste acrylic paints "Antique gold", "Metallic sapphire", Ranger Inkssentials crackle accents, Adirondack alcohol ink "rust" and alcohol mixative "gold", Ranger blending solution
Tools: That Special Touch "mini floral masks"
Embellishments: Blue adhesive gems

Crafting Notes:

  • To get a patchy paint effect on the background I brushed glimmer glaze over a lighter colour using a stiff brush.  I then dabbed more paint on using a washed baby wipe.
  • To make the crackle glaze effect more noticeable, I rubbed rust alcohol ink into the cracks.  To leave it only in the cracks I then wiped over the pot rim with some blending solution on a cloth.
  • I used temporary spray adhesive to help hold the mask in place and to minimise 'bleeding' of the gold underneath the mask.
  • I used alcohol ink/mixative on a cotton bud to touch up the design, and to add rust alcohol ink to the centre of the flower.
  • Don't forget to paint the top inch of the inside of your pot!

3 comments:

  1. its great Amanda, love the gold and blue together.
    congrats on the magazine commission too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely project. So nice to be able to make something that matches your own decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Project Amanda its so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)