Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Popcorn for Country View Crafts

Teddies aren't generally my thing, but there's something about Tatty Teddy and Popcorn Bear that I really love.  Typical me, liking the hairy ones that are more fiddly to cut out!

Country View Crafts has a sale on of Popcorn Bear stamps at the moment, so I chose a couple of sets to work with for my second guest designer post for their blog.  I've used them to make a card two ways - one for Father's day, and one more feminine for any occasion.



Both cards feature a frame made from striped paper, and layered backgrounds made using alcohol inks and watercolours.  Sadly I haven't inherited my Dad's skill with a paintbrush, but I think the combination of an alcohol ink layer over a very basic bit of painting helps to give the illusion that something arty has happened!  I'd love to know what you think!  Full instructions for the card can be found on the Country View Crafts blog, but here are pictures of the two layers I've used.  For the feminine card, I've added a layer of vellum between the acetate and the watercolours, to make the hills look more misty and distant.

The top layer is acetate with green and blue alcohol inks dabbed over

The back layer is a very basic landscape painted in watercolours



What I used:
Papers: Dovecraft "English Garden" 8x8 stack
Tools: Popcorn Bear "Thinking of you" and "Father's Day" stamp sets, Adirondack alcohol inks - lettuce, denim, botanical, Adirondack alcohol mixative - pearl, Adirondack blending solution, Adirondack applicator tool, Papermania watercolour pencils, XCut fence die.

Crafting notes:
  • The Popcorn bear stamps are sold unmounted and uncut, so the first time you use them you need to cut out all the stamps.  Leave a gap of a couple of millimetres around each image when you do this, or you'll find it hard to get a clean image.  You don't have to mount the stamps before use, but it's more convenient if you do attach them to something like U-mount. To use unmounted stamps without this, use a glue stick or temporary adhesive to fix the stamp to the mounting block and wash off thoroughly afterwards.
  • When cutting out a fluffy bear, I cut a smooth outline first, touching the edges of the 'fluff', then snip out 'V' shaped pieces of white from between the stamped lines.
  • I made a frame for the card using striped paper.  When marking where to cut the mitred corners, I use a pokey tool, as it's more accurate than a pencil, and it can be used to mark both strips at once.
  • To give the stamped flower embellishments some shape, I placed them on a soft mat and rolled a large embossing stylus around in the centre.
  • The images in the Father's Day card are from a single stamp, but I separated the elements and rearranged them.
  • The stripy paper I used for the frames isn't made up of parallel lines, so it wasn't possible to get all parts of the stripes to line up perfectly.  I concentrated on the boldest stripe - I really like the effect.

2 comments:

  1. I think your painting is freat & what a clever idea to add alcohol inks.
    Love popcorn bear. I have knitted two & have used the stamps on scrapbook pages
    With granddaughter cuddling the bears. & have cross stitched him too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are great with you, and nice to read about how you made the backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)