Monday, 3 March 2014

Layout 4 - Puddle fun

I didn't think I'd have anything scrapbooky to share this week.  I had a little wobble where I became daunted by the size of the pile of photos to scrap and started spinning - pulling out papers for one project and then getting distracted by all the other projects.  Luckily by midweek I reminded myself that I'd decided to take them one layout at a time and I managed to focus again.

For this layout I chose a sequence of piccies that proved quite challenging because they don't have a lot of colour or contrast.  There were no obvious complementary or highlight colours to use, and anything I had that matched did so too well, and the photos just disappeared.  This was a hot favourite for a while, as I love the motion in the pattern, but it was just too similar to the pictures, although that doesn't really come across here:



Although I dithered for days about the paper to use, I was clear from the start that I wanted to use paint streaks and splatters to go with the splashy subject.  In the end I went for Kraft card as a base, painted and splattered with brown acrylic paint, and smudged with a little metallic rub-on paint and green blending chalk.

This is what I ended up with.  It doesn't come across in the photo, but the photos are at different heights, to help with the idea of Bob running towards us - it made a huge difference over mounting them flat over each other.



I'd love to know what you think, and whether you prefer the swirly greens!

What I used:

Papers: Papermania Kraft card
Embellishments: Papermania cardstock alphabet stickers, Craft Planet heart sticker, Daisy & Dandelion Velour alphabet stickers (heart), DCWV sentiment (Boy stack).
Paints: Anita's acrylic paint, Craf-T metallic rub-on paint, All Night Media blending chalk

Crafting notes:

  1. When using chalk on projects you want to last, fix by spraying with hairspray
  2. The alphabet I used was in a serif font, which didn't match the quote sticker, so I trimmed the letters to be sans serif.
  3. I was a little heavy handed with paint in a couple of places, but the dried paint was easily removed with a baby wipe.
  4. The heart on the title is made by layering up two heart stickers:

9 comments:

  1. The second page is much better because it shows off the photo a lot clearer. I love what you have done with the paint to create a muddy background that compliments the photos, and the way you have positioned the photos is very clever. On the first layout you could try matting the photos on to plain cardstock , This will help the photos to stand out as this is a good design idea. You are doing great keep up the good work xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, great tips on this post, love how you have used inks and paints! Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Amanda. The changing perspective is really effective. I think your pages are really great. I also like the swirly greens, though. Ah puddles! Reminds me of my sons when they were small and evocative of my own puddle splashing too.! Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both papers Amanda but I agree that the second is probably most effective!
    It's a great page!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second page. I miss my boys being this small! He is adorable also. Wonderful page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the second page, you're photos really POP for me against that background.., beautiful photograpsh & you can see a whole lotta fun going on in them! Fun memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super LO's hun, I do prefer the 2nd one, great memory to have xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the different looks that both give, but the second gives the best contrast from background to picture while still being very in keeping with the theme of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? Ive been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate itchristian louboutin
    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)