Friday, 28 March 2014

Halfway there! - Layout 6

Nearly a third of the way through the year and I'm now halfway to my goal of 12 layouts in 2014 :-)

I've been quiet for a week or so, but I have been crafting.  I've had a couple of layouts on the go, but changed my mind about what I wanted to do halfway, with the new plans needing more photos to be printed.  So, much of last week's crafting time was spent choosing another 300 (eek!) photos for Photobox to print out.

Today's layout is one of the ones I needed extra prints for.  I started it a couple of weeks ago, and chose a sketch from the February 2010 pagemaps archive to follow.  Originally I intended to use the sketch as a rough guide only, including just the main photo, as I only had one picture from that day.  After a while though, I realised it needed something else and had the idea to include a close-up of the same flowers that I took on a different day.  As a result, the finished layout follows the sketch almost exactly.  I'd love to know what you think!



What I used
Papers: Basic Grey Euphoria "Helio" background), Papermania "The Big One" Temptations stack, plain lilac 
Embellishments: Papermania silk flowers
Tools: XCut decorative scissors, XCut circle punch, Spellbinders Shapeabilities Foliage dies, Spellbinders Nestabilities Large Classic Scalloped Circles dies, QuicKutz circle dies, Papermania white gel pen, Whispers "Whisper lilac" ink

Crafting notes
  • When cutting with decorative scissors, don't snip to the end of the blades, as they generally have a straight piece there which will prevent you from cutting a continuous pattern.  Even if they don't, the jolt of the final 'snip' can sometimes tear the paper slightly.  With all scissors, you have much more control at the back of the blades, near the pivot.
  • I decided after I'd stuck some things down that I wanted to include white borders in a few places, so I added a thin white line with a white gel pen.
  • The leaves I used were flat and without detail.  To add texture to the page, I scored them, folded them in half, then stuck them down only on one side.  Inking the edges helps to add depth too.
  • I didn't have a suitable die or pair of decorative scissors for the large scallop I wanted behind the main photo, so I made a frame using punched circles.
  • How to make the flowers:   The silk flowers I used were flat and regular, so to make them a little more like rhododendrons I did a little running stitch around the middle of the flower and pulled to make a few gathers.  I then added a few strands of orange cotton and a dab of orange fabric paint to finish them off.


3 comments:

  1. Lovely layout. The colours and embelishments look gorgeous and perfect with the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful layout! Love the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great layout and fab crafting tips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)