Thursday, 13 February 2014

The Crafting Cafe February Challenge - Embossing

The theme over at the Crafting Cafe this month is embossing and the challenge is sponsored by Wow! Embossing Powders.  I first saw heat embossing at a Do Crafts demo when I'd only been crafting a little while.  It's been a favourite crafting technique of mine ever since, and I think it's safe to say it set me on the road to crafting obsession!  I love dry embossing too, but that doesn't make me feel like an alchemist the way heat embossing does :-)

Two of my favourite things to do with heat embossing are embedding (sticking embellishments into molten powder) and coloured triple embossing.  For my inspiration project I couldn't choose between the two, so I shared projects demonstrating both.

To show embedding, I made two cards, nominally a manly one and a girly one, where I embedded coloured skeleton leaves into the embossing powder.  I love using leaves like this, as they almost look like fossils.  For the manly card, I just used silver powder, but for the girly card I used a stripe of a translucent gold powder and then a clear powder with a few bits of chunky glitter added.



To show coloured triple embossing I made an ATC.  Triple embossing is where you build up a thick layer of embossing powder and then impress a rubber stamp into it while still molten.  To bring out the pattern of your embossing more, you can ink the stamp first, or colour the embossing in with permanent pens, but for this project I dabbed dark alcohol inks (over a gorgeous irridescent orange powder) for a more antique finish.  I finished off the edges with some distress inks.



I hope you like them!

Crafting notes:

  1. The peel-offs used in the orange card are gold stickers, coloured with a permanent pen.
  2. When colouring embossings with alcohol inks, keep a soft cloth handy to polish off unwanted colour.  If you don't make it in time, remove with a cotton bud dipped in blending solution.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, these are both absolutely gorgeous! Great work!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)