Monday, 24 February 2014

Layout 3 - I'm on a roll!

I'm really enjoying my scrapping adventure and have been looking for scrapping challenges to help me keep up my momentum.  The scrapbooking group on the do crafts Craft Talk Forum have a monthly challenge with a theme and an optional sketch.  The theme this month was to use red on the page and this was the sketch:


I wanted to use red as a highlight colour, so found a photo with just a little red in it - a piccy of me sliding on a frozen road in Canada.  This is what I came up with:



I switched the bracket shape in the sketch for the maple leaf of the Canadian flag: I like it for the reference to where the photo was taken, but also for its jagged ice crystal type shape.  The photo is quite plain, and this is a much busier composition than I usually do, but I've kept the patterns immediately around the picture relatively low contrast, so I'm pretty happy that I haven't lost the picture.  The composition is also pretty flat, despite all the layers, so I've decorated with Dimensions stickers to add a little extra texture.



What I used

Papers: Karen Foster "Canada Leaves", Papermania glitter dots vellum, DCWV Christmas stacks
Inks: Ranger "Worn Lipstick" distress ink, Color Box dark blue chalk ink.
Embellishments: Anita's snowflake Dimensions stickers, Forever Friends "Cosy Christmas" alphabet stickers

Crafting notes:

  1. The red paper I chose for the big maple leaf was a little dark, so I brightened it with a layer of red distress ink.
  2. Sticking vellum down is always tricky, as some adhesives are only invisible under certain circumstances.  My favourite vellum adhesive used to be Glue Dots Invisidots, but I've recently found that projects I made a few years ago have come unstuck.  For this project I've used Scrapbook Adhesives tape in the hidden parts, and then secured the visible edges with a very tiny amount of PVA glue - run a fine line around the edge and then wipe it away to leave a slight tackiness.
  3. When sticking to glittered paper, scratch off the glitter where you put your glue/tape.

16 comments:

  1. What a fab layout! I keep meaning to get started on scrapping (Let's face it, I have all the supplies I need!), but for some reason haven't gotten round to it yet...
    I really like this though, and the picture is awesome!
    Just hopping by on the Crafting Cafe blog hop :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this layout, rings bells for me as my sisters both live in Canada x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the layout! Im on the CC blog hop too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your page, fun idea!
    Peeking in... from the blog hop for Crafting Cafe!
    Ohkissa.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your scrapbook projects Amanda. Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Amanda. Your scrapbook page is gorgeous. Perfect paper choices and a great take on the sketch. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi hun just hopping by :) i love this layout the blue and red are fab together x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great layout and photo and fab take on the sketch x Just popped over from the Crafting Cafe blog hop. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great piece! Popping over on the Crafting Cafe Blog Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopping by from the Cafe, fab design love this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just calling by from the Crafting Cafe blog hop.......this is a fabulous layout, Amanda. I've been wanting to 'get into' scrapbooking for ages and bought loads of 'stuff' about 5 years ago.......it hasn't seen the light of day since! ....maybe someday ;-) you might have just inspired me xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. great layout and choice of papers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the layout - I really must get some more scrapbooking done....... hoppity hop x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just hopping by on The Crafting Cafe blog hop to say hello!
    Amanda, I love your page, it's fantastic! I just wanted to say wheeee! lol
    Best hop on!
    Love & Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amanda, A fabulous page, great photo too. I have just arrived from the Crafting Cafe Blog Hop.

    Hugs Erin x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)