Monday, 13 January 2014

The Crafting Cafe January Challenge - Anything Goes

Happy new year everyone!  2014's weather has been pretty grotty here so far - oh well, a great excuse to stay in and craft!
This month's challenge over at the Crafting Cafe Challenge Blog is Anything Goes, and my project for it nearly didn't happen.  My little boy decided that the paper feed on my printer would make a great money box and posted some 20p pieces into it.  Luckily I was able to get them out using one of those little hooks you use for pulling hair through a colouring cap - finally some justification for my habitual hoarding of things that "might be useful one day" :-)

On to the project.  The January challenge is sponsored by The Stamping Boutique and I used their gorgeous Rocking Horse digi stamp to make a new baby girl card.  I love to lose myself in colouring or painting stamped images, but when I used to do card making demos, people would often say that they were put off stamping by the thought of all the colouring in.  If that applies to you, then I hope my project will give you some inspiration to try something new.  I've avoided the more traditional new baby pastels and have gone for a simple and bold three colour scheme of black, white and bright pink.  In keeping with that, I haven't coloured the whole rocking horse image, I've just picked out a couple of details using bright pink ink and gemstones.  The only other colouring I did was to outline the horse in very light grey to give a little depth.  This way of using stamps is very quick and simple, as there's no shading or blending and I hope you'll give it a go!



One other 'how to' note for this project: I've used a paper trimmer to get the wavy edge on the flower paper and the pink card it's mounted on.  It's practically impossible to place the wavy pattern exactly with a trimmer, but this is what I needed for the pink matting behind the paper.  To position it just right I trimmed both edges of a piece of pink card that was longer than I needed, then cut it in half lengthways.  It was then simple to slide the two halves into their perfect places.  The join doesn't show as long as there's no gap between the two halves.

Other products used: The papers and matching flowers I used are from an old Papermania range.  The little flowers are from Papermania's Summer Bloom range.

Happy crafting!

Amanda

PS One of my friends has candy here!

6 comments:

  1. Great card Amanda, I love the coloured highlights on the digi!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card. I love how you've kept the colouring of the digi simple with only just enough to give some dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card. The image is lovely and I love the papers you've chosen to go with it.

    Emma x
    (Crafting cafe blog hop)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping by from Crafting Cafe.....this is a cute little card, Amanda. Like how the 2 papers compliment each other xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, just popped over from the Crafting Cafe blog hop..This is such a pretty card. hugs Angelie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so striking, even though the image has barely any coloure it still manages to pop from the card due to the wonderful use of DP's. Sorry it’s a late hop from the Crafting Café…But at least I got here in the end  Hugs Samantha K xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)