Thursday, 13 June 2013

Crafting Cafe June Challenge - Here come the boys!

The theme for June over at the Crafting Cafe is "Here Come the Boys", and the prize is provided by Delicious Doodles.  I've chosen their exquisitely detailed Vintage Spitfire image to work with, vintage planes being a bit of an obsession for me.  It's a great image if you're not that keen on colouring in, as all the shading's done for you.  I've added just a hint of colour to mine using my beloved watercolour pencils.



My project is a circular easel card inspired by the WWII RAF roundel.  I say 'inspired by' because I've taken liberties with the sizes of the circles - err, I did mention my aircraft obsession, didn't I? :-)  The red circle is larger than in real life, something I did to make the background to the Spitfire less cluttered.  The blue circle is too small too, and this just came down to how large my circle dies were.  The yellow circle is hand cut to fit the card blank, but hand cutting the blue circle would have looked less clean against the yellow.

I've attached the spitfire using a curved piece of acetate.  It's a really simple way of getting nice movement and depth into a project without adding thickness for postage.  You need to use thin acetate, as the thick stuff won't stay curved, and if your attachment is light, you might need to add a couple of light folds in the acetate, as I have here.


The base of the easel card is covered with a map of the area around Eastleigh, which is where the Spitfires were built.  Hmm, perhaps I should have kept that bit of geeky obsessiveness to myself...

I hope you like it.  Happy crafting!

Challenges entered:
Milk Coffee
Joanna Sheen Challenge
Pattie's Creations
Creative Belli
The Stamping Chef
Anything Goes Challenge Blog
Creative Craft Challenges2
Cuttin and Stampin
Scrap-Creations
LEJ Designs
Stamping with the Dragon
Simon Says Stamp
My Craft Creations
Scrappers Delights (S is for Spitfire)

28 comments:

  1. love the way you used the easel card, jenx

    ReplyDelete
  2. An absolutly fabulous card, wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent card. I love your attention to detail with the map, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card especially the map backing paper you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. brilliant card! Love it. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flying round the blogs tonight playing catch up on all the wonderful creations!
    This is stunning! Great work!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous and love the gorgeous aeroplane!

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this design Amanda. Original and unusual. Great project xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Male Easel card and love what you have done with Teri's image, great card xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabby card I love it xx hope your little one is on the mend x hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  11. ARgh why didn't I read this before I embarked on mine tonight, it's amazing very unique which is why I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for taking the time to enter the LEJ Designs Challenge No. 57 - Something for the Boys/Men...

    This is a brilliant card. Love the shape and that colourful map paper on the base of the card. The image is great and I love the pale tone to it.

    I really hope to see many more entries from you in our future monthly challenges on our challenge blog. Fantastic digi images from LEJ Designs up for grabs and other stuff from our amazing sponsors!

    Hugs Lisa xxxxx DT Member

    p.s. we are currently having a DT call, please see our 'sticky post' on the blog for more details

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful card I love how you have made the easel card and to have the plane "flying" our of the circle is fab.

    Thanks for playing in our challenge!
    ♥ KELLY
    DT Member for Pattie's Creations Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is brilliant, I love the plane & how you've incorporated a map x
    Thank you for joining in the LEJ Designs challenge, good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful creation, brill idea...thanks so much for sharing with us at BEARLY-MINE challenges x carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a gorgeous travel creation. Love the circle design.
    {I would love you to take part in my 600 Follower Give-away. Thank you so much if you have already entered and good luck.} Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is lovely Sweetie, I like how you've incorporated a map, great layout x
    Thank you for joining in the LEJ Designs challenge, good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great card,love the design. Thank you for joing in the my craft creations chalenge, good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a very cool card great circle easel love the map.
    Thanks for joining us at scrappers delight challenge blog
    Tracey dt

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so fabulous! I love the airplane! Thanks so much for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cool card!
    Thanks for playing in our "Father's Day" Challenge #69!
    Sandi ♥
    DT Coordinator for Pattie's Creations Challenge!
    and Pattie's shop
    Home of Pattieboop and Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a really cute card! Thanks for sharing over at Cuttin and Stampin.

    Teresa R.
    DT~Cuttin and Stampin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a great card, love that map and that spitfire looks fab! Thanks for playing along at Scrapper's Delights Challenge blog hope to see you back for the next challenge.

    Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cool easel card with some motion in it:-) Thanks for joining us at The Stamping Chef!
    DT Jennyfer

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fab easel. Love the spitfire.

    Thank you for joining us over at the Joanna Sheen Challenge. Good luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a cool project love it!

    Thank you for joining in on Scrapper's Delights Challenge
    "S is For...."
    http://scrappers-delights-challenge-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another great fathers day card with an airplane. My dad used to be a military pilot and such a card would be great for him...maybe next year :). Good luck for the prizes. Come back tomorrow to see the winners post. Regards, TokBobok.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)