Wednesday, 13 March 2013

March Crafting Cafe Challenge - Favourite Colour

When I signed up for the Crafting Cafe design team I was a bit sad that I only needed to post once a month, but it's just as well as this month's flown by!  The theme for March is "My Favourite Colour", the sponsor is Delicious Doodles, and I picked their vintage chevy image to work with.

I already had some great papers in mind when I picked the image - Tim Holtz's 'Destinations' paper stack that I bought earlier this year.  The papers are double sided, with travel images on one side, and gorgeous textures on the other.  I didn't know exactly what I was going to do for my project until this weekend though, when I visited my friends at Country View Crafts and spotted these fab cog Nestabilities dies in the warehouse.  I also decided I 'needed' these embossing folders for the project - I used the cog folder in that set to emboss the medium cog after cutting it from grey Coordinations card. It's a shame I didn't spot this 3D embossing folder though, as I would have 'needed' that too :-)  Here's what I came up with.  It's quite different to my normal style, so I'd love any feedback.



The cogs, card blank and sentiment peel-off are all coloured using an espresso paint dabber.  I used paint rather than ink and peel-off markers to get a more textured finish.  The car is coloured using Promarkers, and I've used two colours of blue (powder blue and pastel blue) plus quite a bit of grey, so the car looks more old and used.



I'd like to claim that this project is my first foray into steampunk, but I must confess that I only have a vague idea of what counts as steampunk.  It's got cogs though, so maybe that's enough.  Or maybe that's like Yankee Doodle Dandy sticking a feather in his hat and thinking he'd managed to pull off 'macaroni' style!  What do you think?

I'd like to enter this project into the following challenges:
Crafty cardmakers
Delicious Doodles
Left of centre

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Fabulous card, love all the texture you've created, congrats on your DT position xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Amanda, love the cogs and the classic chevy. Great colour combination too.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic masculine card, Amanda! I love that classic Chevy image, and your sentiment is very classy, too! Great work with the cogs. Hmmmm, I think I may 'need' that embossing folder for my collection. :-D
    NanaConnie DD DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card, Amanda - love the addition of the cogs in the background.
    Hugz, Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i looooooooove your cogs! :O :D I think i need some of those... ;)
    A brilliant card, with fantastic colours for a great theme :)

    thank you for joining Left of Center challenges on our voyage!
    -Laila aka Koneko

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card but then you know I love it already!
    HUgs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card,love the gorgeous design and colours.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, the colours are lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous card you have made here. It fits our challenge this week well. Thanks for taking part and good luck. Best wishes, Kym (Delicious Doodles Challenge Blog Design Team Member)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card is brilliant, Amanda and it is what you say it is; I just know it is fab. Thank you for sharing it with us at Left of Center and I hope to see you there again. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely card thanks for joining us at Delicious Doodles
    AllisonX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card for a man, super textures and images. Thank you for joining us at CCM this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card, love the embossing. Thanks for playing along with my masculine theme at craft cardmakers challenge this week.

    Rebecca x

    http://mellymoopapercrafting.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card! I love the cogs, they are great and your embossing just finishes the card off perfectly :) Thanks so much for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers.
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)