Saturday, 10 November 2012

Crafting for others

Although I love to craft for crafting's sake, what really got me hooked was making cards for specific people - tailoring my project to their hobbies, tastes, and the occasion.  In some ways it's easier, as it cuts down your options, but it can be hard to find the products to realise what you have in mind, unless you're artistic enough not to need to use stamps or stickers of course!  Making cards for friends to give adds a layer of trickiness too, as you have no idea what the recipient will like.  Nerve-wracking though it is, I love the challenge of meeting someone else's brief though, so I was delighted when a friend asked for three special birthday cards recently.  The specs were as follows:
  1. A 40th card for a male mechanic who loves go-carting
  2. Something with fast cars and bikes for a James Bond fan
  3. A card for a 1 year old girl to give to Daddy, in the style of something a child might make.
Here's what I came up with and why.  Please leave me a comment, I'd love to know what you think, and how you'd have met the briefs.

1. For the go-carter:

I went for a penny slider*, as I thought a kinetic card would appeal to someone technically minded, and because I wanted to make the go-cart look like it was racing, hence the chequered flag.  For the paper I chose circles and stripes (from the Arctic Frog Lilly Pads "By the Sea" pad), because they're speedy and masculine, and I wanted the 40 to look a bit like a speed limit sign.  The flowery sheet from this pad also looked a bit like gears, so I die cut part of it to use as the go-cart mount.  I couldn't find a nice go-cart image in time, so I used an ancient and well-used racing car stamp (from the See D's "Boys Toys" set) and removed the spoiler and wing.

* For the non-crafters out there - the go-cart travels along the slot in the middle, spinning as it goes :-)

2. For the Bond fan:


For me, the most iconic Bond image is the through-the-eye view of a silhouetted Bond, so I went for this circular theme for the card.  I stuck with circles with the fabby "00" paper, which is from the DCWV Black & White Prints paper stack.  The Bond image is a freebie from the Papercrafts Inspiration website.


3. For Daddy

Several years ago I helped out at our local Rainbows, and one thing I remember about little girls crafting is that they don't do subtle or minimalist :-)  With this in mind, I wanted to create a busy and cheerful card, and I wanted to use colours that would appeal to a little girl but that wouldn't be inappropriate for a man.  The papers I chose are from very old Papermania paper stacks - one is the first pack of paper I bought when I started crafting!  The flowers are die cut using XCut Petal Posy dies - I love this set, and it's great for using odd bits of paper. With lots of sizes of flowers and the separate flower centres, you can really minimise paper wastage.  I keep this set out all the time and cut flowers from oddly shaped paper scraps as I create them - it's much nicer to keep flowers than tatty bits of paper!  'Daddy' is stamped using watercolour pens on Craft Planet foam alphabet stamps.  I know they're for children, but I use these quite a bit as they're really versatile.  My pen set didn't have the right orange colour to match my papers, but one of the great things about foam stamps is that you can blend colours directly on the stamps.  Just start with the lightest colour so you don't ruin your pens.  I'm really happy with the result, and will do something similar with Bob to make a name plate for his room as soon as he's able to craft :-)

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards,love the penny slider.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I really like the Bond one! Any chance of piccy of Daniel Craig inside?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards! I love your interpretation of your briefs!
    Well done!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards, stripes and spots are always good for men's cards. Love the bond card x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the team at The Crafting Cafe!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just brilliant, Amanda. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)