Friday, 18 May 2012

To scrap or not to scrap - Blog Prompt Day 16

Today's prompt challenge is to talk about our attitudes to scrapbooking.

Nowadays I'm a keen but painfully slow scrapbooker with a long To Do list of page ideas.  It wasn't always this way though.  I bought my first scrapbooking magazine not long after I first started crafting, and I didn't find a single thing in the mag that I liked.  Everything was quite American, heavily decorated and very sentimental, not a stiff upper lip to be found!  It wasn't until I saw some cleaner layouts, smaller than 12x12, that I could really imagine myself scrapping.

[caption id="attachment_305" align="alignright" width="300"] I love mini books[/caption]Smaller formats are still my favourite - I adore maze books and mini books, although that's normally because they're made in a clever way, and I'm a sucker for anything trick!  As I mentioned in My Crafting Style, I like the photo or journalling to take pride of place in my layouts.  To me, scrapbooking is a really personal hobby.  It's about presenting my pictures and memories in a nice way, and helping them tell a story, rather than creating something pretty for its own sake.  That's not to say I don't think that's worth doing, it's just not what I want to do.  I love the idea of showing my scrapbooks to Bob when he's older so he can see what we were like before we had him, and what his childhood was like.  It's almost like being immortal :-)

[caption id="attachment_312" align="alignleft" width="300"] Sometimes it's all about the paper![/caption]The other great appeal to me of scrapbooking is getting to keep my creations!  I have a big box full of cards ready to send and it's at least half full of cards I don't really want to part with.  One great thing about scrapping is that you don't have to feel bad about that.  I often say that I need at least two sheets of all paper designs - one to craft with and one to keep.  Papers used in layouts tick both boxes though, so it's also a great way to hoard :-)

There's just one thing I don't like about scrapping - printing out my photos - although that says more about my printer than scrapbooking.  I'm trying to get a batch of pics together to get printed, so they're available whenever I feel like doing a layout.  If you can recommend a printing service, please leave me a comment!

[caption id="attachment_306" align="aligncenter" width="297"] My first ever scrapbook page, done for my application to docrafts - I love to include tickets and other mementos[/caption]

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous layouts, and lovely papers, I am the same about not liking printing my photos
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab pages..I especially the the train one.
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)